Wednesday 22 September 2021

Where to start? - Necromunda!

As some of you may know, towards the end of my last 40k playing dad Steve and I started to get into Necromunda. Now we haven't played all that much but luckily we've been working on our gangs and terrain throughout the time we've spent away from 40k and managed the occasional game. I think I've said before that I absolutely LOVE Necromunda and ideally would get a campaign going at some point but time, as always, is the biggest issue.

Anyway as 40k has grown so much over the time I've spent away I do believe that still playing a game such as Necromunda will help in getting back into the game. It has helped me to stay up to date with Games Workshop, I have still painted occasionally, it has kept me in with the lore and background to some extent, and also I have been played the game so even though it's different I'm still involved with game mechanics, tactics, weapons and (my favourite) rolling some dice - although being an Astra Militarum player, not nearly enough!

One other element of gaming I have still really been into in this break from 40k has also been terrain building and painting. I have loved the MDF scenery from TT Combat which I generally get from Element Games. It's so easy to put together, cheap and looks great when it's painted. I've been getting this terrain together mainly for Necromunda - so hive style terrain - however, I have also had 40k in the back of my mind and so I have picked Zone Mortalis style and industrial bits that I think will cross over into bigger battles too.


I absolutely loved @possiblynerdyrob (Pics below) on Instagram and the way he painted his Orlock gang and terrain



and originally copied him but I'm nowhere near as good an artist so it really didn't come out right and I found it too slow. My method was to spray undercoat black, paint the whole thing Dawnstone, paint the metal bits leadbelcher, wash with nuln oil and then paint the hazard stripes in yellow and black. This took forever and didn't even look good! Quite disheartened I went back to the drawing board...

I happened to be in the 'yellow shop' in my town (it's basically a cheap shop with bright yellow signage so everyone knows it as the yellow shop) and noticed that they were selling car paint for £1 a spray can!!! The colour looked slightly darker than dawnstone so I bought a fivers worth and got home pretty quick! The paint worked great on the MDF not needing an undercoat and although it was a bit of a darker grey than I wanted it still looked good. I decided to then drybrush dawnstone and ulthuan grey on the terrain pieces to lighten them up and bring out the details and (I thought) they really looked good. I really wanted some hazard stripes on though and my painting method was far too time consuming so after sopme online research I stumbled across the method of printing some out on paper, cutting out strips and PVA'ing them onto the terrain. I was very sceptical about this but am always up for trying something different so downloaded some weathered hazard stripes and got to work...

I have to say that this method is amazing!!!! They look great on the terrain and it's so quick to do!! Perfect! Here are the two side by side - My early failed effort on the left and the new effort on the right...



And a few pieces together look like this...


And our latest battle...

So my hobby bug is starting to resurface through Necromunda and, more specifically, the terrain part of it. I really like modular terrain as you never get the same game or setup twice and I would say I'm about 3/4's of the way through painting my MDF collection so I really should have a solid industrial battlefield to fight 40k game across very soon.

Next up I need to get up to speed with where my armies (Astra Militarum and Flesh Tearers) are at in the new 40k universe...

Catch you soon.

James


fourdadsoftheapocalypse.blogspot.co.uk – A blog about Warhammer 40k and the Horus Heresy by four Dads

No comments:

Post a Comment