Sunday 24 January 2016

This week in Dad Dave's World

So,

I wanted to add an update as to what I have been up to this week. Apart from the Spartan Challenge (which has been really inspiring, motivating and exciting) I have also been working on my new Contemptor Dreadnought and some Mk2/Mk5 jump packs.

The jump packs are for my first 20-man 30k assault squad. When I starting re-branding my army I already had 15 Skyclaws. They were all Mk6 armour so really almost ready for 30k action, but I wanted to replace the Mk7 jump packs. I have already added some Mk4 but then brought another 5 Mk2/Mk5 jump packs and I want to try some open source lighting on the jets. More on this in the future, I just wanted to let you know what was coming!

On to the Contemptor. I posted about the conversion I did on the plastic BaC dread. I was pretty pleased with that so couldn't wait to start painting (even though I have the Spartan on the table!).

So far I've base coated and highlighted the grey (Mechanicus Standard grey followed by Administratum grey and then Ulthuan Grey (or Space Wolves grey as it was)), added the Boltgun Metal to the metal bits, added some markings using black with the pack markings masked out and red sponged on, and then finally this week I have sponged on battle damage using watered down black paint. I always find watering the paint down before sponging it on in several layers gives a more pleasing and controlled effect.






Also this week I finished reading Deathfire, Book 32 of the Horus Heresy series. If there's anything other than painting and playing that us Dads like it's reading, and I for one am enjoying the HH series. It's had it's ups and downs in terms of quality but Deathfire is definitely up there, in terms of good writing, pushing the story on and twists. Particularly when a bonus Primarch turns up! (i.e. he wasn't listed at the front as featuring and actually plays quite a big role).

It's a good read (I don't want to give anything away), and I'm really looking forward to the third instalment of this trilogy. The afterword is also really interesting as it gives an insight into the HH series an the way it is progressing.

That's it from me this weekend. Comments and thoughts welcome!

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment