Saturday, 13 August 2016

Will It Never End?! Hobby Challenge - Steve Update 1

It's taken me a while but I have managed to complete my first element of the challenge - my Blood Angels Tactical Squad. They aren't the fanciest of models and my painting style is quite basic for them - black spray then Mephiston red over that. A top coat of Blood Red with an Agrax Earthshade wash into the cracks and crevices. Finally metal bits picked out with leadbelcher and washed with Nuln Oil.
Tactical Marines
As the other guys seem to be painting to such a high standard I felt that I couldn't just leave it at that though. I needed to try and push these models on a little. To do that, I decided to do something that I haven't done in a long (maybe 20yrs?) time. Transfers. I don't know why, but I have always steered clear of these. Maybe it's because I'm not too bothered about squad/company markings or maybe it's just because I can be lazy or maybe it has something to do with my eagerness to move on to the next model as I have so many to paint! What ever it is it's something that I thought I would try again.

Tactical MarinesI picked up some 'ard coat and some Lahmian medium from my local GW store and got cracking. Nothing too fancy, I just added the chapter badge to their right shoulder pad and the company badge (2nd company if you're interested) to their left shoulder pad.

Tactical MarinesMy results were mixed. I think they look quite good but there are a few areas that could be a lot better. My main issues were with creases in the transfers and then them ripping as I was trying to fix it. I have actually ended up painting some bits where they have ripped off completely though thankfully, plenty of coats of gloss seem to have hidden most of the blemishes. If anyone has any advice on how to do this better or easier then please let me know in the comments below!

Next in line for me is my Terminators. So far they have been sprayed black and had a coat of Mephiston red and then Blood Red on top of that. Hopefully I can get them done fairly quick as there are only 5 and I can then crack on with something else. I am undecided yet as to whether I will be putting transfers on them or not.

As always, please feel free to post comments. Any criticisms are welcome as I'm always looking for ways to improve my models (as long as it isn't too difficult!).



  1. Hey Steve, looking good. The transfers turned out well and if nothing else you have a good template to paint over.
    What's your plan for the bases?

    1. Cheers Dave. At some point I will be replacing the bases with the new GW sector Imperialis bases.

    2. Awesome, I look forward to seeing those too!

  2. Here is a good tutorial on using decals

  3. Here is a good tutorial on using decals

  4. Nice work Steve, they look really solid and the decals are making them look even cooler. For decals I use Micro Sol and Micro Set solutions, they are really good at helping with uneven or curved surfaces - I found at first I needed to make tiny slices in decals to get them to fit neatly over the rounded shoulder-guard but the micro solutions kind of melt it into place.
    Also, make sure you have a damp pieces of kitchen towel, folded so you can use it to press the decal I to position - this is the best way to get a smooth finish.