Thursday 4 February 2016

Of Jump Packs and OSL

So it there's two things I love it's Marines with Jump packs (boing boing boing blam!) and nifty painting techniques. So what better to combine the two?

In my last post, I mentioned that I was looking at two of GW's technical paints recently. The first being the textured mud paint featured in that post, the other being Nihilakh Oxide.

Paint itself is described as: Nihilakh Oxide allows any painter to add a verdigris finish to their models. It's an opaque shade that can be applied to the recesses and cracks of a miniature to represent the weathering of brass or bronze.

Now, I'm not usually one to use things in the way they are intended... so, when I saw this recently, I had an idea:
Corvus Corax, Primarch of the Raven Guard
Look closely. Look at the jump pack intakes.

Now, Open Source Lighting (OSL) is something I have always wanted to have a go at, but never have. And now, I don't really have the hobby time to be applying an advanced technique to my entire army. But I saw this and wondered whether there was a quicker way to apply something akin to OSL.

I'm painting some jump packs at the moment so thought I'd have a crack at seeing if I could get a Corax-esque effect on my own miniatures, using a quick and easy technique to make them pop.

So, I brought some Nihilakh Oxide and applied it. The result is below:

 
Then I added some blue glaze around the fan prop.
 

What do you think? I'm not sure the photo does it justice. It's not as blue and not as subtle as that on FW's Corax mini but it does add something extra, it doesn't look out of place, it kinda creates the effect I was looking for and it's quick, which I like.

I'll class this as a success. So that's two out of two for GW's technical paints.

Let me know about your experiences, especially if there's another of the technical paints which you think I should try.

Dave






2 comments:

  1. I really like it - not sure why, but it does make them 'pop' - nice work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers rich... I'm just looking for ways to beat you in the Spartan challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete